The Dragons and the Simbas will meet in Marseille on the 17th November in a WC qualification Repechage game as they look to confirm a place in the tournament that will be held in Japan later next year. Both teams will be aware that a win here will go a long way in making Japan dream a reality. Having come close to qualifying for the 2015 tournament, Hong Kong and Kenya Rugby will both be looking for victory when they clash for the remaining slot in the Rugby World Cup group stages. So, let’s have a look at the Kenya vs Hong Kong Rugby 2019 World Cup Qualifiers Game Predictions and Preview, Schedule, Key Players.
Hong Kong v Kenya Rugby Schedule, Kickoff Time, Venue, Where to Live Watch Stream
These two sides have played each other 5 times. Hong Kong has won three while Kenya has won only once with the other fixture ending in a draw. See below the schedule in details.
- What: Kenya vs Hong Kong Rugby 2019 World Cup Qualifiers Game
- When: Saturday, 17th of November 2018
- Where: Stade Pirre Delort, Marseille, France
- Kickoff: 12:00 GMT
- Where to Watch: ESPN
- Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
- Assistant Referees: George Clancy (Ireland), Thomas Charabas (France)
- Television Match Official (TMO): Graham Hughes (England)
Kenya Rugby 2015 World Cup Qualifications (27-10)
On the back of an African Cup Win, the Simba started their quest to make it to England on a high note. They beat Namibia and Madagascar and were in need of a solitary point to make it to the Rugby WC. However, Kenya lost 27-10 to Zimbabwe in their final game. Namibia later demolished Madagascar by 89-10 and they, therefore, the automatic qualifiers. This result pushed Zimbabwe to 2nd and hence they won the Repechage slot and therefore dashing the Simbas’ hope of making it to the Rugby WC.
Both Sides Player Replacements
Let’s see whether both sides coach made any replacements for Kenya vs Hong Kong Rugby 2019 World Cup Qualifiers Game on this Saturday.
- Kenya: Head coach Ian Snook left a number of familiar faces out of his repechage squad. Among the players who didn’t make the cut are wingers Vincent Mose & Jacob Ojee, and hooker Karia Peter. However, Snook will be able to call on Onsomu Samson, Oliech Sammy, Ayange Felix, Ambaka William, Onyango Tony, D. Mukidza, W. Reeve, and Nelson Oyoo.
- Hong Kong: Dylan Rodgers is a doubt for this game after picking a knock in the penultimate warm-up game. However, The Hong Kong Squad has seen a number of new faces as they prepare to mount a challenge for the 20th and final slot in the WC group stages. They include Lewis Warner, Mitch Andrews, Grant Kemp, Craig Lodge, Bryn Phillips, Ben Axten-Burrett, and Casey Stone.
Hong Kong Rugby Last WC Qualifying Stats
In the 2015 WC qualifying campaign, Hong Kong missed the automatic slot to Japan and they had to go through the intercontinental Repechage games. They played against Uruguay in their final game and were impressive in the first half. By half-time, they were behind by only 6 points to 3. However, they masterminded their own downfall in the second period by receiving a lot of yellow cards and they ended up losing by 28-3. That loss meant that they were kicked out of the qualification.
Key Players of The Dragons and Simbas Rugby
The key rookies for Kenya vs Hong Kong Rugby 2019 World Cup Qualifiers Game are as follows.
- Hong Kong: Leigh Jones will be counting on Jack Parfitt and Tyler Spitz to inspire his side to a very important win over the Kenyan Simbas. The prop and center duo will be the players to watch when these two sides meet on the 17th in Marseille.
- Kenya: The Simbas will be relying on Veteran Collins Injera to lead their assault against Hong Kong. Injera who has enjoyed an illustrious career with the 7s side will be hoping to replicate his try-scoring form, which has seen him become the 2nd highest all-time try-scorer albeit in the World Rugby 7s circuit.
Kenya vs Hong Kong Rugby 2019 World Cup Qualifiers Game Predictions
The most recent game was a 43-34 win for HKxvs in an international test match played at the RFUEA grounds in Nairobi. Matt Roslee scored 5 penalties for the Visitors in addition to four converted tries to stun the hosts. Kenya scored tries via Onsomu, Davies Chege, and Onyango Tony with Mukidza scoring a try and converting for the hosts. With considering both sides recent stats I should keep the Dragons ahead than the Simbas with my prediction is Hong Kong 32-25 Kenya.
Read More News
- xinhuanet.com: Kenya turns focus on repechage tourney for rugby World Cup ticket
- sport360.com: Hong Kong confirm place in repechage for Rugby World Cup 2019
- asiarugby.com: Hong Kong RWC2019 dream to be decided at repechage tournament as the Stade Delort in Marseille
- scmp.com: Hong Kong hold on for win over Kenya in Cup of Nations